After I wrote about what I thought was a terrible cutting out error when planning Waif’s pyjamas, my mum rang me up to say “don’t do anything rash, your pieces are right!”. And she was right. It seems it doesn’t matter whether your fabric is wrong-sides together or right-sides together when you cut the pieces! So, I set to work sewing the trousers together. I sewed the inside legs and the crotch seam. So far, so good. Then, somehow, when sewing the outside leg lengths, something went awry and I ended up with this:
No offence to MC Hammer, but this wasn’t quite the look we were going for! ;-)!
Out came the seam ripper, and I resewed the seam the right way, and yay – I had an item shaped a lot like a pair of pj trousers! Unfortunately, when I called Waif in to show him, I thought “uh-oh” because I realised that these trousers looked much too small. Yep, they were a couple of inches too short in the leg, and in the crotch!! It seems that using the waist and hip measurements of a child to work out the correct pattern size only works when said child is not a skinny beanpole ;-).
Luckily, my very capable and creative mum came to the rescue again, with her suggestion to add a waistband to the top of the trousers, thus solving the problem. This being somewhat beyond my current skillset, I handed them back to her and here they are:
All I need to do is sew the elastic into the waistband, and hem the bottoms and (fingers crossed) Waif should have a wonderful new pair of pyjama bottoms. Phew.
In other sewing news, things have been a little more straightforward. I have completed the embroidery and quilting on my “What a World” quilt panel:
And completed two more sides of coloured hexies on my charm quilt:
It’s tempting to say I will stick with patchwork and quilting in the future…but I do like the challenge of learning something new, so I am not going to give up with the dressmaking yet!