Sewing on the go is fun.
Today’s experience, however, has taught me that it’s always a good idea to keep a seam ripper in your sewing kit! Ah well, at least there was the coffee to enjoy.
After I wrote about what I thought was a terrible cutting out error when planning Waif’s pyjamas, my mum rang me up to say “don’t do anything rash, your pieces are right!”. And she was right. It seems it doesn’t matter whether your fabric is wrong-sides together or right-sides together when you cut the pieces! So, I set to work sewing the trousers together. I sewed the inside legs and the crotch seam. So far, so good. Then, somehow, when sewing the outside leg lengths, something went awry and I ended up with this:
No offence to MC Hammer, but this wasn’t quite the look we were going for! ;-)!
Out came the seam ripper, and I resewed the seam the right way, and yay – I had an item shaped a lot like a pair of pj trousers! Unfortunately, when I called Waif in to show him, I thought “uh-oh” because I realised that these trousers looked much too small. Yep, they were a couple of inches too short in the leg, and in the crotch!! It seems that using the waist and hip measurements of a child to work out the correct pattern size only works when said child is not a skinny beanpole ;-).
Luckily, my very capable and creative mum came to the rescue again, with her suggestion to add a waistband to the top of the trousers, thus solving the problem. This being somewhat beyond my current skillset, I handed them back to her and here they are:
All I need to do is sew the elastic into the waistband, and hem the bottoms and (fingers crossed) Waif should have a wonderful new pair of pyjama bottoms. Phew.
In other sewing news, things have been a little more straightforward. I have completed the embroidery and quilting on my “What a World” quilt panel:
And completed two more sides of coloured hexies on my charm quilt:
It’s tempting to say I will stick with patchwork and quilting in the future…but I do like the challenge of learning something new, so I am not going to give up with the dressmaking yet!
Last week I wrote about going back to my sewing roots, and wondered whether I could even learn to make my own clothes. It so happens that Waif needs new pyjamas for the winter. A perfect first dressmaking project I thought. I bought a pattern, some fabric, and carefully cut out the required pattern pieces. So far, so good.
Before I go any further, it may be worth mentioning that I have rubbish spatial skills. At school, I had no problem with algebra or arithmetic but given problems involving symmetry or manipulation of shapes I was flummoxed (my maths teacher helpfully told me that this was “because you are a girl”. Harrumph). Anyway, I digress.
The next step in the process was to cut out the fabric. I carefully pinned the pattern pieces to my washed and pressed fabric, and meticulously cut around those pieces. Unfortunately, I had my folded fabric right side up, and wrong sides together, which means I have ended up with this:
Instead of two front pieces and two back pieces with the pirate design on, I have one front piece with pirate design and one front piece with the reverse of the design; likewise with the back pieces. Oh dear 😦
Luckily, I bought the fabric locally and it was pretty cheap, so I can get some more. And I am determined to get to grips with this! If only I had paid more attention to what my mum did when I was little and she made lots of our clothes…
Still, I can chalk this up to experience and move on. It’s not a mistake I will make again (and surely I am not the first person to do this?!) so I can look on it as a new skill learned. I now know which way to fold my fabric before cutting the pieces out!!
I am not going to give up. Onwards and upwards. I will master this!
Additionally, as a home educating parent, I think it is really important that the boys see that (a) I am learning something new; and (b) I make mistakes; and (c) I don’t give up after making a mistake, but use it to learn something. Job done 🙂
Day two of 30 Days of Get Your Art On sees me adding some colour to my illustrated journal.
I tackled a couple more EDM Challenges. EDM#218 draw a knife and EDM#201 draw a stapler:
I used Derwent Inktense pencils to colour the stapler, and then painted with water. I like the effect. As you can see, though, drawing a stapler wasn’t easy for me. But I wrote on the first page of my journal that this would be a pencil-free zone, so I am having to learn to embrace mistakes and move on. In my drawing, and in my life too I guess.
Next up, I drew a toy James Bond car, and coloured that with the Inktense pencils:
Yes, it does have wings. Doesn’t your car?
Feminist reflections on fitness, sport, and health
Reading & Reviewing Works by Women of Color
Liz Bourke: Books, Opinions, Services
On a Swiftly Tilting Planet
Mostly books, with a little wine writing on the side
An Unreliable Reader
"Vivre le livre!"
"Let us pick up our books and pencils. They are our most powerful weapon." --Malala Yousafzai
literary translation news and updates
Celebrating the pleasures of a 21st century bookworm
Book Review Blog
Adventures with great novels around the world
"For many of us, working with death is an act of resistance. It is our way of reclaiming our space, our bodies, our lives and ourselves."
A publication of Parnassus Books
Books, Movies, Art, Writing, and Cats
Book reviews by someone who loves books ...
Reading classics and hard books, and spouting rhubarb about them
books & life